I must admit, when I first saw the birthday sheet cake selection for the first Barefoot Blogger’s recipe in September, I was a little bit apprehensive due to the reviews on Food Network. Susy of Everyday Gourmet was celebrating a birthday, so Happy Birthday Susy!
I decided to make this recipe with a few tweaks… well, maybe more than a few. I figured that I needed some practice in my cake decorating skill that I picked up over the summer. I haven’t really decorated any more cakes since the class ended.
Here are my revisions:
1. I halved the recipe
2. I used an 8-inchx3 round pan, which I used for my Wilton classes
3. I used the bake spray that was recommended by my Wilton instructor instead of shortening, or butter and flour
4. I used 3/4 of baking soda instead of 1
5. I omit the lemon zest, because I didn’t feel like grating a lemon
6. I used the Wilton butter cream frosting recipe so I could decorate the cake, which I also used as a filling.
The verdict: the cake was just okay for me. A little bit in the dry side, but there was nothing special. For a cake made from scratch (from her, too!) I would have expected a lot more.
I probably will not make this again in the future.