When it’s really cold outside, like right now, like it has been for the past three months in the middle of nowhere Iowa – nothing warms my heart like the thought of grilling outside with Charlotte drooling and licking her lips non-stop by the grill. This recipe won me over because it screams “summer”, and it uses chicken breast, which is not the most flavorful piece of meat – but yet it’s very healthy!
- 1/2 cup gold tequila
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (5 to 6 limes)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (2 oranges)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeno pepper (1 pepper seeded)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (3 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 whole (6 split) boneless chicken breasts, skin on
Combine the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, chili powder, jalapeno pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add the chicken breasts. Refrigerate overnight.
Heat a grill with coals and brush the rack with oil to prevent the chicken from sticking. Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade, sprinkle well with salt and pepper, and grill them skin-side down for about 5 minutes, until nicely browned. Turn the chicken and cook for another 10 minutes, until just cooked through. Remove from the grill to a plate. Cover tightly and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.