Classic Lapis Legit
20 egg yolks
150 g confectioners sugar
350 g butter, at room temperature
2 Tbs. sweetened condensed milk
1/4 tsp. bumbu Spekoek (All Spice powder)
1/2 tsp vanila powder
35 g all purpose flour
10 g powdered milk
- Beat the butter and the sweetened condensed milk until white and fluffy using paddle attachment, set aside.
- Meanwhile, sift together all the dry ingredients (flour, bumbu Spekoek, vanili powder, and powdered milk) and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and the sugar using the balloon whisk attachment until very thick.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients and continue whisking until well incorporated.
- Add the beaten butter to the egg mixture and mix well using the paddle attachment or fold gently using spatula. Make sure that there’s no streak of butter left, or else you will have a rubber like layer in the bottom of your cake. The batter would be very thick with spreadable consistency.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Grease and lined a standard loaf pan with a parchment paper.
- Spread about 2-3 tablespoons of batter into the prepared pan and spread the batter evenly using the back of a spoon. Bake for about 10 minutes until the top is golden brown. The time will vary depending on different oven and how much batter you put in the pan.
- Remove the pan from the oven and change the oven setting to low broil (if you’re in the US). Press the top of the cake using anything that’s flat (I even use the back of a spoon). Then, add another couple of tablespoons of batter and spread it evenly. the heat from the pan will help soften the butter to make it easier to even out.
- Put the pan back in the oven and cook for about 6-10 minutes until the top is brown (not burnt!).
- Repeat this step until all of the batter is used up.
- Remove from the oven, let cool on a cooling rack for 5 minutes, then unmold.
- Cut the four sides of the cake to make it neat and so that all of the layers are shown.